In view of the definition of lottery by the NLA, 2005 which stated that “lotteries include any game, scheme, arrangement, system, plan, promotional competition or device for the distribution of prizes by lot or chance, or as a result of the exercise of skill and chance or based on the outcome or sporting events, which shall be operated according to a license”
Every Company/Corporate entity whose core business is not lottery but organizes a promotional scheme that has element of chance in the distribution of prize must therefore apply for approval and for a promotional lottery permit before they can launch their proposed promotion.
The NLRC has furnished the guidelines and requirements for obtaining a permit to conduct a promotional exercise by any corporate body as follows;
- The applicant prior to the launch of the promotional exercise must submit detailed modalities of the promotional exercise to National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC) attaching an application letter stating the intention of the applicant regarding the promo, a completed NLRC application form, Incorporation documents (Certificate of Incorporation, MEMART, Form CAC2 AND CAC7) for the business intending to run the promo, details of the applicant’s administrative offices, nature of the service or product being promoted.
- Provision of details of key personnel in charge of the promotional exercise, detailed modalities of the promotional lottery including name of promo, value & categories of prizes to be won, selection/draw process and applicable rules, duration of the promo and frequency of draws for the selection of winners and proposed draw dates.
- Terms & Conditions regarding eligibility, qualification and participation in the promotional lottery exercise. Rules governing the promo in terms of claiming the prizes, the modalities for distribution of prizes (State, regional, zonal etc.) and proposed prize presentation date(s) must also be provided.
- Non refundable processing fee as determined by the NLRC for a period not exceeding 12 (twelve) months.
- Applicants must conduct the promotional lottery in accordance with submitted modalities. Such modalities cannot be varied or changed without the written approval of the NLRC. Please note that the NLRC will assess the promotional lottery modalities for periods between 2 weeks and 12months.
POST PERMIT OBLIGATIONS
After an application for permit is successfully granted, the permit holder must notify the NLRC of all draw (s) and prize presentation dates respectively. The list of winners with contact details must also be submitted to the NLRC within 5 days of the draw/prize presentation, for verification.